Share | 

Touhou

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
とあるのバカ
Adolescent
Adolescent

PostSubject: Touhou   Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Because if we have a Vocaloid thread, surely we must also have a Touhou thread or be remiss.

It's actually been a while since I played much Touhou. Just last night, I tried to play Perfect Cherry Blossom and managed to go perfect with no bombs used or lives lost until the fourth stage. Then I just sota fell apart and started making dumb mistakes. Ended up beating the game using two continues. Oops. Oh well.

But anyway, if I'm not the only Touhou fan here and I'm not just talking to an audience of blank and confused faces, what was your favorite album from this last Comiket? I thought Touhou Bakuon Jazz 3 was simply incredible. As in, even if you're not a Touhou fan, you should still go find it and listen to it.

Last edited by とあるのバカ on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://toarunobaka.tumblr.com/
ZeroRei

PostSubject: Re: Touhou   Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Wait, it's a music thing? I thought it was a video game series.
Back to top Go down
とあるのバカ
Adolescent
Adolescent

PostSubject: Re: Touhou   Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:42 am

It's...complicated. Touhou is indeed a series of (very good) indie bullet hell shooters, but there's a whole music scene based in arrangements of music from the games. I say arrangements, and some of the music is definitely identifiable as arrangement (TAMusic, for instance), but a lot of it is wildly different from the original (as in, say, most of Masayoshi Minoshima's work). There's also the matter of the doujinshi manga and videos based on the setting and characters and...well, there's a reason there's a whole annual convention for the stuff in Japan. There's Touhou the game series, and then there's the Japanese otaku community around it.

ZeroRei

PostSubject: Re: Touhou   Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:17 pm

I used to have a friend who was in love with the series. He loved...Cirno, I think it was? Ice fairy chick.
Back to top Go down
とあるのバカ
Adolescent
Adolescent

PostSubject: Re: Touhou   Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Yep, that'd be Cirno. She's a minor character in the games, but apparently she made quite the impression, because there's a metric shitton of memes about her. I've never really understood the fascination some...err...elements of the fandom have with her and certain other characters, but eh, it's all in good fun.

One such meme is her association with the number 9, due to a diagram in the manual for PCB that labeled her as ”⑨ - Baka.” People have taken to calling the ninth of September (9/9) "Cirno day" because of this.

So happy Cirno day. Lol.

bloodmuffins
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Touhou   Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:28 pm

I've never played the games, but I would if I could get my hands on them. My mate's really into the music/otaku scene around it, and she's got me hooked on some of the songs =P
Back to top Go down
http://animefever.forumotion.com
とあるのバカ
Adolescent
Adolescent

PostSubject: Re: Touhou   Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:36 pm

bloodmuffins wrote:
I've never played the games, but I would if I could get my hands on them. My mate's really into the music/otaku scene around it, and she's got me hooked on some of the songs =P
Well good luck getting your hands on them, because ZUN prohibits the direct sale of Touhou and derivative products outside of Japan. Basically, your only option for almost everything Touhou is piracy. On the one hand, I do wish I could get my hands on physical copies of the game and some of the doujin CDs just for posterity, but on the other, this policy basically makes it a free hobby for anyone not living in Japan.

What music have you heard? I might be able to recommend some stuff.

bloodmuffins
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Touhou   Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Ah, yeah, I've heard that about them. 'Tis a shame.

Uh, not really sure what I've heard. Mostly I just hear it while the mate listens to it. I've grown particularly fond of Touhou dubstep, though, lol. And my favorite song I've heard is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] mostly because of how catchy it is =P
Back to top Go down
http://animefever.forumotion.com
とあるのバカ
Adolescent
Adolescent

PostSubject: Re: Touhou   Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Ah yes, IOSYS. A lot of fans like to act scornful of the sort of "marisa and alice are so kawaii >o<" fans they attract, but IOSYS does make some fun stuff.

Brostep, huh. I don't know any really great pure brostep circles off the top of my head, but you might want to check out Alstroemeria Records. He's mainly an electro house producer (nowadays), but his latest album - The World Destination ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) - definitely has brostep and brostep influences. If you're into house though, in general, I should recommend even more his albums Plastik World ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) and Abandoned Dancehall ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]). Syrufit aslo does a lot of great house, and I recommend his album Blossom ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]), if you're so inclined. I also recommend Musou Materialise ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) and Kokoro Vibrations ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) by ShibayanRecords, for something more electro.

EdgeworthWife
Newb
Newb

PostSubject: Re: Touhou   Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:12 pm

I don't know much about Touhou, but there are 2 characters that really look cool! There was one where she had wings like a crow and took pictures (I completely forget her name orz) and the other is Suika! She makes want to have sake one day.
Back to top Go down
とあるのバカ
Adolescent
Adolescent

PostSubject: Re: Touhou   Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:41 pm

EdgeworthWife wrote:
I don't know much about Touhou, but there are 2 characters that really look cool! There was one where she had wings like a crow and took pictures (I completely forget her name orz) and the other is Suika! She makes want to have sake one day.
The crow tengu is likely Aya Shameimaru
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Though her friend and rival Hatate is also known for taking lots of pictures - which actually extends from a game mechanic in Double Spoiler.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's impossible to find good fanart of Hatate, I swear...

Anyway, you should totally try the games sometime.

TheSneaker
Newb
Newb

PostSubject: Re: Touhou   Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:40 pm

とあるのバカ wrote:
bloodmuffins wrote:
Well good luck getting your hands on them, because ZUN prohibits the direct sale of Touhou and derivative products outside of Japan. Basically, your only option for almost everything Touhou is piracy. On the one hand, I do wish I could get my hands on physical copies of the game and some of the doujin CDs just for posterity, but on the other, this policy basically makes it a free hobby for anyone not living in Japan.

What music have you heard? I might be able to recommend some stuff.

I'm pretty sure that's not entirely true. Plenty of sites sell Touhou games, music, etc. outside of Japan; I even have some myself, lol.

As far as music goes, I just listen to whatever friends send me. I personally really like SOUND HOLIC's SWING HOLIC series a lot.
Back to top Go down
とあるのバカ
Adolescent
Adolescent

PostSubject: Re: Touhou   Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:54 pm

TheSneaker wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's not entirely true. Plenty of sites sell Touhou games, music, etc. outside of Japan; I even have some myself, lol.

As far as music goes, I just listen to whatever friends send me. I personally really like SOUND HOLIC's SWING HOLIC series a lot.
True, but it's a rather roundabout way of doing so. Still, you're technically right, it's not really impossible to obtain Touhou stuff outside Japan. A handful of indirect, importer/exporter sites will do it. It's just that something about it doesn't sit right with me. Or maybe I'm just lazy. Either way, if I ever go to Japan, I hope it coincides with Reitaisai so I can get some of this stuff in person.

SOUND HOLIC usually has some pretty nifty stuff. My personal favorite from them is Metallic Vampire, but I should really give their swing albums more of a chance.

If you're a fan of that though, you should check out the Tokyo Active NEETs and ButaOtome. Unlucky Morpheus had a really nice fusion album too.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Touhou   

Back to top Go down

Touhou
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1